2016 Tijuana Immersion Trip - Registration is closed (April 22, 2016).
Please click on the link below to register to be placed on the wait list.
Your registration is not complete until you complete these two steps :
Step 1: Complete the St. Julie's Tijuana Mission Trip 2016 Application - click here to start.
Step 2: Register with BASICS (Brothers and Sisters In Community Service). The link will be emailed to you after you submit your application.
We have 2 weeks in TJ in 2016! Choose the best week for your schedule.
- Sat, June 25 - Sat, July 2 (home building, community building)
- Sat, July 9 - Sat, July 16 (home building, community building, mother's & children's programs)
- St Julie Billiart Parish on Wed, March 2 @ 7pm in the Sullivan Center
- Church of the Resurrection on Thurs, March 3 @ 7pm and on Tues, March 8 @ 7pm in the Farana Center
- St Simon on Mon, March 7 @ 7pm in the Simon Room
We foster friendships and spiritual growth by reaching across borders to bring God’s people together. By putting our faith into action, we build lasting and vibrant communities in collaboration with San Eugenio Parish in Tijuana. We provide opportunities for education, immersion, and commitment to promote human dignity.
Since 2005, St. Julie Billiart Parish has sponsored a Tijuana Ministry and Social Justice Trip, providing an immersive experience building homes for families in dire need and ministering to women and children in Tijuanaʼs La Morita area. The program also offers opportunities for reflection on social justice issues, and direct conversation and interaction with the people in the community we are serving. St. Simon Parish started traveling with us in 2011, and Resurretion Parish joins us in 2013. We also had travelers from several other parishes.
In 2015 we:
- Built 5 safe, durable, insulated houses, including plumbing and electricity
- Ran inspiring programs for over 200 children, 20 teens and over 70 women each day at two different morning and afternoon locations. These programs continue to grow each year and to attract volunteers and participants alike. They leave a lasting and meaningful impression on the hearts of all who take part.
- Shared a heart-warming meal at a homeless shelter for migrant workers.
- Visited the border wall between USA and Mexico
- Talked to local families about the challenges of living in an area of 250,000 people living in abject poverty.
This immersive experience can lead to personal growth, and then parish transformation through the sharing of the experiences and shared prayer. Volunteers gain a stronger sense of belonging to their communities and parishes. Parishes gain new, active and energized leaders.
Experience needed but not required
We need contractors, teachers, social workers, fundraisers, reflection planners and organizers. Although Spanish knowledge is not required to participate, bilingual speakers enrich our program greatly. We caravan down the 500 miles to Tijuana. We need people willing to drive themselves, others and trucks with trailers.
No experience? No Problem!
We provide onsite training. You can learn a new skill, or share your knowledge with others. Leadership opportunities are also available!
Can’t travel? Other ways to Help!
- Prayers are always needed for the program, participants and the community in Tijuana.
- We need to buy building and program supplies. A financial donation or helping us with our fundraising events or planning your own fundraising event will help make these events happen.
- Don’t forget to check for matching grants from your company to maximize your gift.
- Join our planning board and help us prepare. There’s lots of work before we can go to Tijuana.
- The children love soccer! We try and take soccer equipment each year for them to play with in our programs and then we give them away at the end. They love them!! (Deflated is best for transport).
- The women in the program, as well as the local AIDS clinic, appreciate donations of sewing and crocheting materials, supplies and fabric.
Whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me. Matthew 25:40
Join us on a trip that changes lives and communities -- including yours!
June 25-July2 or July 9-16, 2016
- Lodging is provided in a secured facility, with indoor shower and bathroom facilities
- Volunteers can choose to work in any part of the ministry: house building, children and mothers ministry, cooking, organizing, etc.
- $400 fee per volunteer to cover room, board and transportation
- We ask for your assistance in fundraising the additional $500 per person for building and program supplies. We have traditionally asked our parish for prayer and financial support to make this a parish to parish alliance.
- We are a multigenerational program, starting with high school age through retirement!
For more information, please email:
Monica Rising | 408.629.3030 x120 | St Julie's